Discover below the best ghee oil options, whether vegan or dairy-based and where to buy them. Learn about ghee health benefits and why it’s good for healthy cooking.
- What is ghee oil?
- Benefits of ghee oil?
- Where to buy ghee oil?
- US made Grass Fed Ghee – Organic Butter Keto Butter – SPRING SUNRISE 8oz
- Original High Heat Cooking Oil by 4th & Heart
- Pure Indian Foods Organic Grassfed Original Ghee
- Organic Grass Fed A2 Ghee Clarified Butter from Girorganic – Unsalted Gir Cow Ghee Butte
- Himalayan Pink Salt Grass-Fed Ghee Butter by 4th & Heart, 16 Ounce
- Nutiva Organic Vegan Plant-Based Ghee, 14 Oz
- How to prepare milk-based ghee yourself?
- How to prepare vegan ghee yourself?
What is ghee oil?
Ghee oil is a clarified butter. It may be made from milk or be vegan. Indians have been using ghee since ancient times. In addition, it has been used in Ayurveda for therapeutic purposes for thousands of years. Read more about it at Ghee : Its Properties, Importance and Health Benefits. You can prepare ghee yourself, buy it online or at a nature store.
Benefits of ghee oil?
Healthy Heat Cooking
Oils degrade while cooking. Cooking at high temperatures using certain oils like canola, peanut, sunflower, etc…. may produce unhealthy by-products. Whereas, recent studies have shown that heat cooking with ghee is not only safe, but healthy.
Ghee oil is rich with A,D, E, K vitamins and essential fatty acids. In addition, it has natural antioxidants. Thanks to that the oil has a long shelf life. Moreover, you don’t need to store it in a fridge.
Unlike other oils, ghee contains butyric acid which allows it to digest easily. The acid also showed its benefits for the immune system.
Ghee may also benefit those who have lactose intolerance or milk allergies, because milk solids are removed from even milk-based ghee during the clarification process.
It’s also important to note that ghee is rich with conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). The studies have shown that this acid has potential benefits for the heart’s health.
Ghee Oil is Tasty
Ghee has a rich, nutty, and buttery taste. While the taste is similar to that of butter, it has a more intense and complex flavor.
To sum up, ghee oil has a rich and unparalleled taste whether you cook with it or just eat it.
You’ll find below direct links to stores where you can buy it.
Where to buy ghee oil?
There are plenty of online stores where you can buy ghee. I recommend the top-rated ones below.
iHerb offers over 30,000 products from 1,200 trusted brands across Health, Nutrition, Fitness, Beauty and more! Moreover, iHerb offers free shipping on orders over 60 USD.
Amazon provide various shipping options along with special discounts for Prime members.
US made Grass Fed Ghee – Organic Butter Keto Butter – SPRING SUNRISE 8oz
Original High Heat Cooking Oil by 4th & Heart
Pure Indian Foods Organic Grassfed Original Ghee
Organic Grass Fed A2 Ghee Clarified Butter from Girorganic – Unsalted Gir Cow Ghee Butte
Himalayan Pink Salt Grass-Fed Ghee Butter by 4th & Heart, 16 Ounce
Nutiva Organic Vegan Plant-Based Ghee, 14 Oz
Below eBay links provide relevant search results. You can find great deals there as well.
grass fed ghee
high heat ghee
If you don’t mind paying for a bit of extra weight, purchase ghee in a glass jar. This way, you’ll contribute less plastic trash to the planet.
How to prepare milk-based ghee yourself?
To make traditional milk-based gee yourself you’d need to cook butter at a temperature that is slightly below boiling. Your goal is to separate the milk solids and water from the butterfat. The process of making ghee is as follows:
- Melting butter in a pan over medium-low heat.
- Skim off any foam that rises to the surface, after the butter melts and begins to bubble.
- After the butter starts to simmer the solids will begin to separate from the liquids.
- Continue until the solids at the bottom of the pan turn golden brown. At that point the water will evaporate and the milk solids will caramelize.
- Turn off the heat, remove the pan and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the clear liquid ghee into a clean, heat- proof container (prefer glass) through a cheesecloth to remove any solids.
How to prepare vegan ghee yourself?
Plant-based or vegan ghee is made from plant-based oils and ingredients. Checkout a simple recipe to prepare vegan ghee:
You’d need 1 cup of plant-based oil e.g. coconut oil or sunflower oil. In addition, prepare 2 tablespoons of vegan butter.
- Mix and heat the oil and vegan butter over medium heat in a pot and stir.
- Let the mixture simmer. The solids will start to separate from the oil, then.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer for around 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the pot and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the liquid ghee through a fine-mesh strainer in order to remove any solids.
Note that you can store both vegan and diary ghee at room temperature for several months.
Do you want to share your experience or the oil you use? Feel free to share them in comments with the world.